Basic Driver Improvement Course
If you elect the Basic Driver Improvement Course option, adjudication is withheld and the DHSMV will not assess points against your driving record. A course certificate of completion form must be returned to the Clerk’s Office within the allotted timeframe to be accepted.
You may select this option if:
- You received your citation no more than 30 days ago
- You have NOT elected to attend traffic school within the last 12 months
- Have NOT elected to attend traffic school 5 times in your lifetime
- Do NOT hold a commercial driver’s license (CDL)
Election of traffic school is done at the time of payment and you do not need to contact our office prior to. There are two options when electing traffic school:
- The certificate of school completion can be submitted along with payment of the civil penalty within 30 days from the date of issuance of the traffic citation.
- You can pay the civil penalty and elect traffic school at the time of payment. Payment must be received within 30 days from the date of issuance of your traffic citation. Once elected, school completion certificate will be due within 60 days of the payment transaction date.
*Late certificates or ineligible elections will assess additional fees and may result in your driver license suspension, along with points assessed to driving record by DHSMV and count as an election made.
- If you are electing traffic school and pay by mail, you must send a signed traffic school affidavit with your payment. Click HERE to access the affidavit.
- If you are electing traffic school and you pay in person, the affidavit can be printed on site for your convenience, with an additional with a $7.00 affidavit fee (per §28.24(9)(a)).
- If you are electing traffic school and pay online, you must select the traffic school election option and your payment will include an additional $7.00 affidavit fee (per §28.24(9)(a)).
- Please note: Traffic school cannot be elected if making payment over the phone.
For a list of Florida approved traffic schools click HERE
Want to know if we have received your Certificate of Completion?
To check the status of submitted completion certificate using your citation number click HERE
If you are unable to complete traffic school in the allotted time, you may revoke the option by coming into one of our locations. You will be charged a $25 revocation fee for this option and will be required to pay back the reduction you may have received at the time of electing traffic school.
Please note this will still count as an election of traffic school and you will not be able to re-elect for a 12-month period and will count towards one of the five in your lifetime.